A calendar committee comprised of teachers, district and campus administrators, as well as parents, designed the calendars in alignment with a new state law, House Bill 2610, requiring students to be at school for 75,600 minutes instead of a certain number of days.
The 2016-17 calendar provides a full week break at Thanksgiving, 12 school days in December, professional development/non-instructional days in August on the the week before school starts, as well as other student holidays.
Significant dates and holidays in the 2016-17 calendar include:
- Aug. 22: First day of school
- Sept. 5: Labor Day Holiday
- Oct. 10: Columbus Day/Staff Development
- Nov. 21-25: Thanksgiving Break
- Dec. 19-Jan. 3: Winter Break (Jan. 2-3 Staff Development)
- Jan. 16: MLK Birthday
- Feb. 20: Student Holiday/Staff Development
- March 13-17, 2017: Spring Break
- April 14: Good Friday
- April 17: Student Holiday/Staff Development
- May 29: Student Holiday/Staff Development
- May 30-31: Bad Weather Days (if needed)
The calendar review committee for the 2016-2017 calendar ran from Dec. 7, 2015 to Jan. 11, 2016. The majority of the respondents agreed with the draft calendar presented.
To view the 2016-17 calendar, click on the PDF link below.